Thursday 30 December 2010

White goods

Having been 15 degrees on top of Snowdon today according to the Summit weather station (I can't actually believe it has been that warm though), and there not being any ice or routes in condition anywhere, Jim and I headed over to the White Goods dry tooling crag in Clwyd somewhere for some dry tooling action. 

Its a great place, well worth checking out if you have never been there. but nothing is easy. It really tests your nerve with what you can stick to using an axe tip. There is definitely a constant fear of smashing your teeth out without warning. More info on White Goods can be found at whitegood.blogspot.com

Jim on one of the many long moves on Jazz

We started in the 'Kitchen garden' area. Warming up on the M5, and doing the M7 immediately right. Both good routes and the easiest 2 lines there I think. Though there are 2 new lines left of here that I don't know anything about yet. The only problem with this area is the mud! So much of it today. Your boots accumulate so much of it you can scarcely get your crampons on! 

Jim reaching the slabby top of Jazz

After that we went to the main area as Jim wanted to have a crack at Jazz. Which I have 'done' before. But apparently its the best route there. I have never dogged so much in my life as when I 'did' Jazz. I definitely need to do it properly one day. Jim did pretty well on the on-sight attempt. I then top roped it, and couldn't make the top miserably. I was pumped to the point of having to stop after pretty much each move. And then Jim lead it again, clean! A fine effort! Some impressive cutting loose shows just how good a tiny flat hook can be! 

My arms hurt now, in a good way. I just want it to get cold again though to do some proper mixed climbing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment?