Sunday 19 December 2010

Forget climbing, its all about Skiing and Boarding now!

So much snow about. It literally doubled in depth over Friday night. I've never seen so much snow in Llanberis. So yesterday a few of us met up and fancied going snowboarding and skiing. We went for a North Wales alpine start, and met in V12 for about half 10, then didnt actually set on our way until gone midday! It was great though, no driving involved, boards and skis on our back, and up we marched past the youth hostel and directly up Moel Eilio.



It was hard work. Wading through all the snow, and I have no idea how long it took, probably around 2 hours I would guess. We met 3 or 4 other skiers and boarders up there. Seems it was the place to be. It is perfect for it though, great angle down the main path, or loads of places to go steeper if needed, and the surface under the snow is soft grass, so little risk of gauging your board to bits.


When we got to the top, typically the weather came in and we were right in the cloud. But this cleared about about half an hour thank God. Once that cleared and we really got into it it was just awesome! Runs down were on par with the best days off piste I have had in the Alps. Totally stunning. The slog back up was not so awesome, and as a result I think my man flu has progressed into pneumonia or something as my chest is not in a good way at all today. 

Jim had a go at snowboarding for the first time, some good comedy falls as to be expected but I think he's a bit of a natural. Even linking turns after about only 400m of snowboarding! Took me a week! 


The descent down from the top was brilliant, right to the High Street in Llanberis, only had to walk about 30 meters to get home. For now, Llanberis is little Chamonix. Stick a few lifts up on the mountains and re-name Llanberis: Llanberis Snowdon like its big brother Chamonix Mont Blanc.

I would be going out again today if I could breathe, there is a crowd heading out. I fancied doing Banana Gulley with Jon (pictured above) if we could. But instead I'm now going to drive to Devon.... It's good I guess, might clear this damn plague with 2 forced rest days.

1 comment:

  1. However, the patients may feel more comfortable telling them their feelings, because they feel as if they
    won't be judged. Your talents can also be of use in rehabilitation centers. Also, be sure to have both the training and experience, which are needed before you even think of applying.
    My webpage: rehab for depression + ontario

    ReplyDelete

Any comment?