Friday 17 December 2010

So much fresh snow!!

And I'm stuck in Llanberis! There are worse places to be snowed in.

Anyway this is the first entry to my blog. I'm rather unsure about starting a blog, but some friends have suggested I do, as they read blogs of people who do considerably less stuff out in the mountains then I do who get to test gear and write reviews and the like. So why not give it a go? I like to think I do my best at getting out and doing stuff as much as I can, and I know loads of people around here who do the same and share their stories and experiences, and isn't having a blog the done thing of the 21st century? I guess you only have to read it if you want to and are interested. I'll try to keep it interesting.

There is 6 inches or more snow accumulated on everything on the high street! Roads are death at the moment from what I've heard. I've not so much as left the house today, I'm ill with man flu, as are most people I know at the moment... I hope we don't all die before climbing conditions become amazing.

For now though, climbing conditions sound rather rubbish. A friend who had work cancelled tried to get up towards Crib Goch from the village today, though they got to Cromlech ok with snow chains on, it took them 2 hours to walk in, and they didn't even get to the upper cwm before giving up. Thigh deep soft snow in places, the stuff of nightmares unless your snowboarding down it. So they sacked that off and came back down.
They did say though that the ice is coming back in fast! Face route is forming, and potentially do-able tomorrow, and Sergeants gulley forming nicely too. For the mixed climbers amongst us all the old snow has melted nicely wetting the turf, and over the past 2 cold days has frozen up well so we wont have the problem of the snow insulating it again and it not freezing properly! Good stuff.

Tomorrow though...? I don't think its going to be up to much, not for me at least unless I can shift this damn cold. I think short approaches are going to be the best bet tomorrow, minimise the wading. Or follow people. That would be wise. I wonder if all this snow has created much of an avalanche risk in some of the snow gullies? The Trinities? They will be a desperate swim up through all the snow anyway so best avoided.

Transport might be the biggest issue. They have gritted the main roads, but as it continues to snow they're not particularly clear.

Isn't that muffled silence of all street noises great though?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment?