Wednesday 22 December 2010

Death by wading...

I cant believe how much snow there is here in North Wales at the moment!Over the past 3 days I've picked up my brother from Liverpool airport and gone down to Devon, been in Devon a few days and got back home yesterday afternoon. Not the most exciting last few days but it had to be done and also it was 3 days of forced rest and I think I have cleared this death cold. Or at least over the worst of it now.

The roads were fine driving back into Wales, a big lorry had rammed up the bank of the A55 though and didn't look too healthy. Other then that fine. There was as much snow around as when we left, and according to my brother who has been in Switzerland the past few months, we have more snow then they do!

It snowed more lest night too, which was apparent from people coming over in the evening, plastered in snow. Another 4 inches last night perhaps. Lots anyway, as I was to find out today.



I had planned on going out with Jon, Rory and Bryn. But Jon was practically on his deathbed today so he had to leave it. The rest of us went though. From the Marchlyn reservoir road, up Elidir, into Cwm Dudodyn, up Foel Goch and back down into the Cwm and down to Nant Peris to finish. The other guys on their softies skis skinned their way up, as I plodded in the not too deep snow up Elidir. From there the descent was awesome, on superb snow drawing smooth snaking lines down into the Cwm on completely un-tracked snow. Bliss. Or was it?



From the Cwm to the top of Foel Goch quite possibly was the most physically difficult thing I have ever done. I spent that hour and a half on the edge of being able to breathe, sinking to at least my knees with every step. Making 10m attempts between wishing I was dead. But the slope we were going to descend looked so good, it was going to be worth it. Or at least I kept telling myself that.

We got to the top, some cloud had appeared from nowhere, but it broke at the perfect time to get a clear run down. We carved it up, flying down, trying to find a balance between number of turns and speed. You don't want to go too fast, though it would be brilliant, but it would feel like less value for all the damn hard work getting up. And you don't want to go too slowly turning loads as it would be dull. I think we got it right though. All finished with massive grins on our faces.



These grins soon disappeared with the reality of a 1.5km walk out, through waist deep snow. Bryn and Rory donned the skinns and made their way. I found it easier following wind scoured edges of gullies up, and then getting on the board and traversing along a bit.

We finally made it down to Nant. All totally boxed, but satisfied. What a great day out. Who needs the alps? Not us at the moment. Who needs snow shoes? Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment?