Tuesday 4 January 2011

Silent Trinities

I headed up to the Trinity face again today with Jim. The weather was not great, with light rain forecast for the morning and clag around all day and strong winds. Fortunately we didn't get rained on at all, the clag wasn't too bad and we were sheltered from the wind on the routes the whole time. So it all worked out very nicely.

Jim approaching Ladies Gully
We started off up Ladies Gully (III 3), though we weren't sure at the time as I forgot the damn topo. We decided to solo it, and it looked ok. I however got to the top and got a bit spooked so managed to sling a chock stone and throw a rope end down to Jim and finished it easily afterwards. It's amazing the difference knowing your not definitely going to die if you fall off makes. Got a seriously pumped leg whilst sorting all the stuff out! That route is harder then 3 in current conditions too by the way.

After that we descended end gully, and cut across into Cave Gully again. Where out of the blue Tim Neil once again popped out from nowhere! This time not soloing but with Geoff Bennett. They were going to do 'Gwyn Ein Byd' (V 5), which Jim and I had in mind. But we went on and did 'Cave Gulley Left Wall' (IV 4). Jim led it very quickly. It wasn't the thin snow and ice as described in the book but turf and ledges. There is one tricky step at the top, other then that its fairly easy and uninspiring unfortunately. Probably better if it is filled with ice.

Jim on 'Cave Gully Left Wall'
We descended End Gully again and joined Tim as he was still belaying Geoff. Jim and I kitted up and I led up behind Tim on 'Gwyn Ein Byd'. Its a super route. Up this slabby chimney like feature into a proper chimney. Loads of great rock hooks and some quite small rock foot ledges, bridging and back and footing got me to the top. There are plenty of good runners too. All 4 of us who climbed it today agreed its worth its stars.

On the way back down to Pen y Pass, we stopped off at the 'ice boulder' just by the zig zags on the PYG track. Jim climbed this, and I took some photos. The ice was bullet hard but the top was really shattery. Someone has clearly taken a massive chunk off it. Maybe the loud noise and screams of 'BELOW' heard in that area on Sunday afternoon?

Jim on the 'Ice Boulder' near the Zig Zags
What amazed me about the day, is that it was so quiet up there. Tim and Geoff were the only people we saw beyond Bwlch y Moch. I think the few people walking down before here had sacked it off as the path was covered in treacherous ice.

It should still be ok up there tomorrow I think. Though temperatures are close to zero. I'm not climbing tomorrow, I'm too worn out. Its colder later in the week so I'll conserve my energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment?