Wednesday 26 January 2011

Keeping Busy

The last few days have been mainly a mixture of poor and bad weather. Winter climbing has certainly been off the menu for some time now, which is totally rubbish, and its not been dry enough for rock climbing either. So I've been keeping myself busy doing other stuff. Well, apart from Sunday, where I did still manage to go rock climbing to the quarries. Chris and I climbed all the routes at the sidings in Australia in a couple of hours which was pretty good considering the rest of the day I had done nothing but clean, so it was great to get out.

Gareth and Dave in Minllyn mine
On Monday, Dave Gareth and myself set off on a rather epic journey to explore some slate mines down in the Dolgellau area. We first went into Minllyn (above Dinas Mawddwy), which was a lot more interesting then expected. The largest mine caverns I have ever seen, absolutely massive! And a number of strange features that I have not seen in other slate mines. All the caverns are pretty much clear of debris and have flat floors, in one there is a 100ft chain hanging from the roof which would be mad to climb up if you were a bit crazy. And the walls of some of these caverns could actually be made into pretty amazing sport climbing crags! Very all weather too. Well worth checking out on a miserable day. We also checked out out Bwlch Glas mine near Corris and Henddol near Fairbourne, which sadly was locked after some thieving scum have apparently stolen a load of gear out of it.

Dave and Gareth on the Dee
Yesterday was a wet and horrible day, but made for good canoeing. Me Dave and Gareth went to the Dee, and paddled down from Glyn Dyfrdwy to the mill, avoiding the Serpents tail. It was a very nice trip. They went tandem, I went solo. And I annoyingly was the only one to swim! Dammit. To my credit though I did preform a pretty efficient self rescue, then waited with the camera hoping to get those two swimming on film, which they didn't. Shame.

Smug gits for not swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment?